Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday: cheat day

So we all know by now just how crucial good nutrition is in ensuring our efforts at training are fully rewarded with good results. I'm on quite a strict relatively low calorie plan at the moment in the lead up to the start of Summer, but you can't be good ALL the time, can you? Sooner or later you start craving something that's not on your list of authorised and approved meal choices.

Something I've been doing a little research on lately is the role the hormone Leptin plays in fat loss, and while I'm not quite ready to write a blog post on the subject in any detail, cheating on your diet once in a while might not actually be such a bad thing.

Lets not call it cheating though, lets say we are scheduling one meal a week with a higher amount of calories from carbohydrates.

For me this is usually in the form of a small - medium sized potato (or half of a larger one), and usually with dinner on a Sunday evening. Sunday is as good  a day as any. For potatoes I like to make chips or wedges, but done under the grill instead of deep frying. Boil them in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes first, and then grill until they're starting to go brown. Excellent!

Another option I like is to scoop out a trough in a larger potato half and fill it with ham (vegetarian deli slices or rashers in my case), some avocado and a little cheese... or tofu nuggets instead of the ham. This is pretty damn good too.

So that was my dinner today along with an enormous capsicum stuffed with spinach and tofu nuggets. If you're passionate about training, health and fitness, it's a logical extension to get enthusiastic about cooking as well, right?

That's all for now. Remember if you are looking for a Personal Trainer In Brunswick, I am your man!